May 12, 2014

The daily struggle - when an engineer meets marketing people

I am often asked what makes my job difficult. This is not easy to explain because many cannot imagine what is going between engineers and sales persons.
A few days ago I found this superb video illustrating what happens when an engineer is in a meeting with marketing people:
The Expert
I laughed until I cried. That fits so perfectly! - the majority in the meeting are marketing and sales persons without much technical background. They call the poor engineer "expert" all the time and he is not allowed to say NO even if a task is obviously impossible. Moreover the customers don't know what they really want. The real challenge for the engineer is to be polite - in every case. (Also true is that "experts" don't wear ties ;-) )
In fact only one person has a real clue but the others are paid anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment