Aug 7, 2012

Plans are made to be changed!

This years summer plan was to go to vacation in September in Spain, but as always my plans never work out and I discovered a land which I never considered to go there. All started at a nice summer party in the Vauban, one of Freiburg's students residential areas. I was complaining hanging around at home in July while this is the best time to travel so that Dennis asked me why I will not join his tenting trip to Croatia. The next day I asked my boss and he gave his OK and so I went to Croatia.
For this action Beatsteaks - House On Fire fits well.

We started at a bad time for a 15 hour ride by car: on Sunday evening when we were already tired. We drove through Austria and ended up in Slovenia where they sell the Hip hop right after the Karawanks tunnel:
Dennis is checking out the Hip hop shop. He is by the way a MC of the famous Hip hop combo Saunaclub Hinterzarten.

Before we started I printed out 2 routes from Google Maps: the fastest one and the shortest one. Due to a misunderstanding my colleagues decided to take the shortest one. Thus we left the motorway behind Ljubljana and the first kilometers normal road was as one expect a numbered road. But suddenly it changed to a small dirt road - but still numbered and with distance information. My friends were shocked but I was enthusiastic and wanted to drive a rally. This way I avoided to drive a single kilometer as I simply scared my friends. In fact we had to drive about an hour on dirt roads through the Gottschee County, but the sun was just raising leading to an extraordinary impression of the really nice landscape.

Due to my spontaneous decision to go to Croatia, I did not had a place in the car to go back with the others and therefore planned to take a train via Zagreb and Ljubljana and stay there a few days. So after 8 days in Dalmatia around our campsite near Trogir I went to the train station in Split to buy a ticket. But the nice woman at the counter there asked me why I want to go directly to Zagreb. If I have some days I could also go to Ploče and take there a train via Mostar and Sarajevo to Zagreb. This sounded reasonable. After having a quick look in the Internet I found out that Ploče is not a nice place to visit and therefore took a bus directly to Mostar. So I ended up in Bosnia and Herzegovina and going there was one of the best decisions I made since a long time!

Train station of Split, which is with a population of 200,000 the second biggest city in Croatia. It looks like it is in the middle of nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment