Jan 19, 2014

Cetinje

Long time ago that I recommended a dub song so maybe you now turn on Zenzile - Icepack Sonar.

Due to the very late arrival of the train it was hard to find a room for the night in Podgorica but the super friendly people helped me. Podgorica is not a very scenic town because it was completely destroyed in World War II and because its population grew quickly during the last last decades. Nowadays almost a third of Montenegro's inhabitants live in Podgorica. I felt very sick that day and was happy that I found a bus to Cetinje quickly. Therefore I have no photos of Podgorica.

Cetinje is located in the Adriatic mountains at the entrance of the Lovćen National Park. It is the former capital of Montenegro, it was never destroyed and therefore it consists of older houses. Some of the former embassies are now museums and one can visit the former king's residence. These buildings are arranged in a garden-like neighborhood which also includes a monastery complex. So the town is perfect to relax a bit. When I was there, a festival was going on in the monastery and children played parts of Montenegro's very interesting history in theater role plays. In the evening the streets were full of people. Everybody, yes really everybody, was cheering on the national water polo team in the world championship final. I have never watched a full water polo game before and this one was very exciting - too bad that Montenegro lost!

In the Njegoševa street.
The monastery.
Biljarda in the heart of the garden-like area.
The former residence of king Nikola.
The National Museum.

There are many museums to visit and I bought a combination ticket. Unfortunately there is absolutely no information in the museums. Take for example a virtual tour in of the museums of the National Museum of Montenegro - you can see that there are no information sheets or something similar. The personal is very friendly but they did not know much because they were only ticket sellers. Too bad because the museums have the potential to attract many tourists.

Inside the national museum. Who's bust is that, what uniform is that, who are the people on the images and what is the context?

On the second day I felt strong enough to walk a bit further around and took a path from the monastery to the mausoleum of a bishop because it provides a nice view to the Lovćen mountains. In the forest I was suddenly chased by a dog. I don't understand where it came from and could not see him at first but heard its barking coming closer and closer. In panic I climbed and run as fast as I could and just made it up to the mausoleum. There were other people and the dog desist from me. What the hell! The next hour I could not breath normally because of my infection and I must admit that I started to hate wild/street dogs.

View towards the monastery and the mausoleum on top of the hill.
View at Cetinje from the mausoleum.

No comments:

Post a Comment