Jan 7, 2014

Cycling the final round in Belgrade

Because of my disease I was looking for a museum to see something without the need to move much. I have seen some but all were a bit disappointing. However, this way I saw parts of the city I would otherwise not have seen.
As music for this post I recommend Elitni Odredi - Ne Koci (wow 24 million clicks while Serbia has only 7.1 million inhabitants).

The first attempt was to see the House of Flowers. While cycling there I took the wrong lane at this crossing and landed at the highway and there was no way to return. So I was cycling on it a bit until I could leave. The amazing thing is that nobody cared, even not the police!

One of the villas in the area of the Museum of Yugoslav History.

The House of Flowers is the mausoleum of Josip Tito and is located in a nice part of the city with beautiful parks and villas. The Mausoleum itself does not contain much information, only a few images of Tito and the history of the Non-Aligned Movement he co-founded. Besides the mausoleum is a museum showing some clothings and artisans of the Balkans but unfortunately without any information how things where used, from which time they are etc.
At the entrance of the mausoleum complex is the Museum of Yugoslav History (Museum "May 25th"). The few things exhibited were gifts Tito received from other statesmen. A major part of the exhibition hall was empty. A very bored and friendly student at the museum's office was happy that a person came to talk. I asked her for a museum of history but apparently there is no such museum where Balkan's exciting history is explained. Eventually she sent me to the

Nikola Tesla Museum. A museum about Teslas work is in my opinion a penalty but they sadly managed to create an uninformative museum about electricity. The museum is very small and half of it is about the history of the museum itself. The other half contains some electro motors and Tesla coils. The show they offer only shows some lightnings and explains nothing. For example the unit of the magnetic field strength was named to honor Tesla but this fact does not appear nor is explained what a magnetic field strength is. OK, I am a physicist but every Christmas lecture at your local university will show you more and if you like you can learn much, much more. To get information about Tesla's life and the background of his investigations it is better to read it Wikipedia article. (Sorry.)

Building of the Museum "May 25th".
The sarcophagus of Tito.
The house of the Nikola Tesla Museum.
The second floor was closed.

I have also seen many other places like the neighborhood of Dušanovac , the Bajrakli mosque and Stari dvor but lost these images. Here are nevertheless some images of further parts of the town:






























































































The House  of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia.
The Elektrotehnički Fakultet of the

The Eternal flame in the not so beautiful Friendship park.
The huge Palace of Serbia.
Cemetery of Trolleybuses. in a street at the Danube Port district. (Just after taking this image suddenly 2 dogs hunted me and I think I broke my personal speed record on a city bike to flee although I was already very sick this time.) This was not the last time I was attacked by dogs and I can really not understand why rich and bored woman in western Europe care about street dogs.

I forgot to mention that Belgrade was heavily destroyed by Germany in World War II. It is sad to see everywhere in Europe the results of this war and that the scars are still visible. Fortunately nobody blamed me for anything in the past, some only don't like the politics of Angela Merkel.


No comments:

Post a Comment